The National Guard Troops Federal Service of the Russian Federation (Rosguard) was established in accordance with the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation No. 157 dated April 5, 2016.
Rosguard is a federal executive body which is responsible for the development and implementation of state policy and legal regulation within the scope of activities of the National Guard Troops of the Russian Federation (hereinafter – the National Guard Troops), in the field of arms trafficking, private security activity and non-departmental security service.
The National Guard Troops Federal Service is headed by the Director of the National Guard Troops Federal Service – Commander-in-Chief of the National Guard Troops of the Russian Federation, who is in charge of command and control of the National Guard Troops.
Rosguard is the central control body for the National Guard Troops.
The National Guard Troops are a state military organization which is intended for the state and public security ensuring, human and civil rights and freedoms protection.
THE NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS ARE ENTRUSTED WITH THE FOLLOWING TASKS:
1. Participation in public order enforcement and public safety ensuring.
2. Protection of important state facilities, special cargoes, engineering structures and utilities in accordance with the lists approved by the Government of the Russian Federation.
3. Participation in combating terrorism and extremism.
4. Participation in ensuring emergency, martial law states and legal framework for counter terrorism operations.
5. Participation in the territorial defense of the Russian Federation.
6. Rendering assistance to the border authorities of the Federal Security Service in the Russian Federation State Border protection.
7. Federal state supervision over compliance with the legislation of the Russian Federation in the field of arms trafficking and private security activity, as well as ensuring the security of the fuel and energy industry facilities, over the activities of legal entities protection units and the non-departmental security units.
8. Protection of critical infrastructures and sensitive facilities subject to mandatory protection by the National Guard troops, in accordance with the list approved by the Government of the Russian Federation, as well as protection of individuals and legal entities property under contracts.
9. Ensuring the senior officials security of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation by the decision of the President (heads of the highest executive bodies of state power of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation) and other persons.
Other tasks may be assigned to the National Guard Troops by decisions of the President of the Russian Federation adopted in accordance with federal constitutional laws and federal laws.
COMPOSITION OF THE NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS INCLUDES:
1. Command and Control Authorities.
2. Forces (Commands), formations and military units.
3. Units (Sections), including those in which persons with special police ranks serve.
4. Educational organizations of higher education and other organizations.